Mumbai: Om Puri – the supremely talented veteran Bollywood actor, known to be upfront with his talks, has always had his share of name, fame and shame. The actor, who has featured in more than 100 Bollywood movies, has won incredible amount of awards and appreciation for his stunning roles in movies like – ‘Aakrosh’, ‘Arohan’, ‘Ardh Satya’, ‘My Son the Fanatic’ as a supporting cast.
On the other hand, his biography by his journalist wife revealed the dark side of his life. In the biography, she highlights some of his most private sexual incidents to market her biography, ‘Unlikely Hero: The Story Of Om Puri’. On his biography he said, “I don’t care if she’s my wife. I won’t let her get away with it.”
Apart from ups and downs in his personal life, Om Puri has more often than not also been in the centre of media controversy – given his outspoken attitude. Today we highlight some of his comments and eye-grabbing controversies towards Bollywood actors, politician and others.
Om Puri is an actor who speaks his mind fearlessly.
1. One such extreme response came from Om Puri when he insulted an army soldier and his martyred son on a debate during the live TV show. He said, Who had asked the soldiers to join the army? Who told them to pick the weapons?”
After the debate on TV show, a case was filed against him on the grounds Indian soldiers. He said, “I am very embarrassed at what I said and I deserve punishment, not forgiveness. I first apologize to his (an Uri attack martyr) family, if at all they will forgive me, I apologize to the whole country, the army. I know it’s not justified that you say so much and then think a sorry will make it right. I am guilty and I deserve a punishment. I want to be tried by the army, I should be court-martialled. I want a constructive punishment. The army should teach me how to use weapons and send me on the same site where that brave man has sacrificed himself for the country. I don’t want to be forgiven. I am pleading to the nation I want to be punished.”
2. Om Puri launched a blistering attack on politicians from the stage at Ramlila Maidan where Anna Hazare was sitting on hunger strike. He told the thousands gathered that he feels “ashamed when an IAS or IPS officer salutes a ganwaar (illiterate) who is a neta (political leader).
“Yeh anpadh hain, inka kya background hai? Aadhe se zyaada MP ganwaar hain…,” said Puri.
Thereafter – he regretted for having called politicians uneducated. He said, I respect Parliament and the Constitution of India. I’m proud to be an Indian. I’m happy that this agitation was peaceful and had a lot of dignity and I’m proud of that”.
3. Reacting on Aamir Khan’s hugely controversial statement that his family felt ‘insecure’ in the country’s atmosphere of growing intolerance, Puri says, “I am shocked Aamir Khan and his wife feel that way. I find Aamir’s reaction to intolerance overblown and intolerable.”
Puri described Aamir’s reaction as paranoid and calculated. “He has said he discussed this with his wife. So the statement about leaving the country was not spontaneous matter how we perceive his words, they make an extremely irresponsible statement. You are provoking the people of your community. You’re telling them, ‘Bhaiya, ya to taiyyar ho jao, lado. Ya mulk chhod ke jao’ (fight or flee).”
4. Speaking on the cow slaughter issue in India, the actor said those “who wanted to put a ban on slaughtering cows in the country were hypocrites. We export beef and earn dollars from it.”
5. Om Puri also landed in a soup after he called Naxals “fighters not terrorists”. Speaking to reporters he said, “They (naxals) are not terrorists because they don’t resort to irresponsible acts of terror by planting bombs on streets. Naxals are fighters who fight for their rights. They don’t harass the common man and the poor.”
The actor will soon be seen in the upcoming Hindi movie ‘Gandhigiri’ in the lead role.
In one of his media interactions, Puri had spoken the following words –
“I will try to be an intellectual now, will raise the standard of my vocabulary.”
Hopefully, in the upcoming year, Om Puri will stay away from controversies. Happy Birthday! Om Puri.