Mumbai: Profit booking, coupled with disappointing quarterly results and negative global cues, subdued the Indian equity markets on Tuesday.
However, value buying during the final stages of the day’s trade partially lifted the key indices to provisionally close on a flat-to-positive note.
The wider 51-scrip Nifty of the National Stock Exchange (NSE) inched up by 19.85 points or 0.23 per cent to 8,528.55 points.
The barometer 30-scrip sensitive index (Sensex) of the BSE, which opened at 27,790.05 points, provisionally closed at 27,787.62 points (at 3.30 p.m.) — up 40.96 points or 0.15 per cent from the previous close at 27,746.66 points.
It touched a high of 27,826.69 points and a low of 27,637.98 points during the intra-day trade.
On the other hand, the BSE market breadth was marginally tilted in favour of the bears — with 1,444 declines and 1,224 advances.
On Monday, the benchmark indices were buoyed by expectations of robust quarterly results. The barometer index was up 73.14 points or 0.26 per cent, while the Nifty edged up by 18.25 points or 0.21 per cent.
- 11 lakh rural poor families get houses under PMAY: Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath
- When I was raped at 15, I only told my diary: Actress Ashley Judd
- Russians tried to help Julian Assange escape from London embassy hideout: report
- When audience is unhappy I get restless: Rohit Shetty
- News Alerts! Rafale Deal: Desh Ka Chowkidar Chor Hai, says Congress president Rahul Gandhi