New Delhi: The Election Commission today sent to the News Broadcasters Association a complaint lodged by Congress MP and chairman of Jindal Power and Steel Naveen Jindal against two new channels for allegedly running false news against him.
“The National Broadcasting Association may consider the complaint for such action as deemed appropriate by the authority,” EC wrote to the broadcasters’ body.
In his complaint to the EC earlier this week, Jindal had alleged that the channels have run 85 false news items against him since March 5, when the Model Code of Conduct for the Lok Sabha elections came in place.
Jindal, who is seeking re-election from Kurukshetra in Haryana, said that the two channels were running false news items against him as he had exposed them in 2012 seeking Rs 100 crore for telecasting favourable news.
“With evidence we showed how their editors were seeking Rs 100 crore from us. We had exposed them and because of that, now they are running false news everyday against me, which is in violation of Section 125 of the Representation of People Act and the guidelines issued by the Commission to the media,” he had said.